Monday, July 30, 2007


Sometimes the Journey is more important than the Destination


What's a Singaporean doing in Idyllwild, California anyway? That was a question I asked myself, as I woke up to a knock on my motel room door; a world away from busy Singapore. Bleary-eyed after a 30-hour journey, with my body clock all topsy-turvy, I awoke to the lesson that the Journey is sometimes more important than the Destination.

1. Suspending Judgement

New situations unfold themselves fully only when one suspends judgement and the urge to criticise or even to compare. By immersing all your senses, you begin to allow every neuron in your brain to make connections. I had never previously been to a desert, but stepping out of the airport at Palm Springs that morning in June, gave me a sense of what near 40 degree Celsius feels like. On the ride up to Idyllwild, I made a mental note of not complaining too much about the humidity in Singapore so easily.

2. Physical space parallels Thought Space

My last trip to the US was in 1992, en route to a leadership conference in the Bahamas. I remember being boggled by the size of the continental US, as I flew from San Francisco to Philadephia. This time, almost in juxtaposition, I lived in Idyllwild, a small mountain town of 2000 people, where almost everyone I met there, didn't want to live life, as they call it 'down the Hill'.


These were people who were shocked by the amount of exposure the American media placed on the exploits of Paris Hilton, and who were concerned about issues like the state of the family, education and global perspectives. Yet no matter how wide the diversity of opinions, there was a parallel respect for the other person's right to his opinion. This was manifested in the way even businesses in the town's Chamber of Commerce settled issues through dialogue to understand the perspective of the other. As I exchanged Singapore for Idyllwild, I began to see the truth that the plurality of thought does parallel the physical space.


3. It's more interesting when one is not in stasis

All of us have a propensity to want stability, to conserve what they have. A journey keeps us away from our comfort zone, on our toes as it were; just enough to tip us off-balance, so that in our search for a new equilibrium, we are open to every element in the journey. When finally we achieve a new stasis, then as travellers, we would have considered and assimilated elements of our journey. All this adding to the fact that the Journey is more important than the Destination.


When I reflect on my learning journey to Idyllwild in June 2007, I remember being thrown slightly off-balance when I responded to the knock on my door, only to hear Spanish from the chamber-maid who was there to clean the room. Jet-lagged, I surprised myself by being able to blurt out 'un momento" to her. Then, I knew that the journey to Idyllwild would hold many lessons for me.


Noel Tan

(*All text is copyright of Trailblazer Trainers Pte Ltd)


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home